header photo

Monday, May 24, 2010

CBG #1 Piezoelectric Pickup

I decided to use a piezoelectric buzzer from Radio Shack as my first pickup for my first CBG. I simply disassembled the buzzer carefully, making sure to not damage the piezo element. The circuit board contained in some of the buzzers is useless.


I then soldered shielded audio cable from Radio Shack to the piezo element. I am not sure why there are two outputs (white parts). I just assumed the brass part is the ground and the larger white part as the signal.


I then used a piece of cork to make the top flat so that I can sandwich the assembly in between two pieces of wood.


Next, I shielded the element assembly with metal tape. I just had it lying around, don't remember what it exactly is. Seems to do the job.


The finished electronic assembly. Piezo pickup, 10k-Ohm volume control pot with built in witch (not necessary, i just didn't read the box very carefully), and a 1/4" mono jack, all connected with shielded audio cable and grounded.


I created a sound post directly under where the bridge will be placed on the top of the box.


I then glued the piezo element to the back of the box and placed the sound post directly on top. The sound post is now slightly taller then the box edge so that when the lid is closed and the strings tensioned, the piezo element will be tightly sandwiched in between the back of the box and the sound post.


The box is wired and ready to go!


I made a plate for the 1/4" jack and reassembled everything! Surprisingly it actually works and sounds good!

2 comments: