header photo

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

CBG#2

I just finished my second Cigar Box Guitar build and it turned out better then my first one. I took an acoustic guitar approach for this one.


I used a 24 9/16" Gibson scale.

The neck is made of oak. This time I did not use fiberglass to stiffen the neck as I did in my first CBG build.

I glued popular to the side of the headstock and routed the edge with my dremel.

This time I decided to fret the fingerboard before I glued it to the guitar. I also cut a 4in diameter hole into the cigar box.

I used oak for the fingerboard and the fretsaw I got from Stewart-McDonald.

I then put a little glue into the fret slots and hammered the fret wire into the fingerboard.

Glued the fretted fingerboard to the neck and overlapped the neck onto the cigar box top.

 I routed a piece of oak to hold a piece of cutting board for the bridge. The oak seat is glued to the cigar box guitar, the cutting board is not glued.

I glued a piece of oak where the neck attaches and put a 2" 1/4" brass screw into the neck in order to secure the neck. I also glued a thin piece of oak to the cigar box top where the bridge sits in order to provided some additional strength.

I decided to pass the strings through the cigar box top. To keep them from pulling through, I super-glued a piece of sheet metal to the box.


Looks good and sounds better than my first build!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! There really is no right way or wrong way to build a CBG. I think the only thing that really determines how you build it is your budget. I have been building and selling them for quite a while now. Also, you really don't have to fret them as I always use a slide. I put little brass nails in the side of the neck to give me a little indication of location. Tales much less time and effort and works wonderful.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete